Aquarium Killifish Species > Quick Stats
Feeding killifish can be a real pleasure. In nature they are insectivores, but in the aquarium they are omnivorous eaters that will thrive on good prepared dry foods, although they do show a preference for occasional live treats, such as brine shrimp, tubiflex worms, mosquito larva, wingless fruitflies and so on.
Easy & Fun.
Most killifish prefer to be maintained at temperatures usually found in pleasant rooms, 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit.
This site was created to get straight to the point. Below are some tips on keeping Aquarium Killifish. Send any additional information or questions to Ask An Expert
Killifish (freshwater) should be kept by themselves in a small tank, and are not usually compatible in a community tank.
Aquarium Killifish Species: Key Points, Tips & Tricks - Killifish Q/A
- The difficulty with killies certainly isn't in keeping them alive and spawning daily under normal aquarium conditions, but rather harvesting eggs and raising very tiny fry.
- There is no connection to the verb "kill" nor are killies vicious, nasty and aggressive fish.
- Some killies, known as annuals, spawn every day, because in nature, when the pond dries up, the eggs go into a hibernation phase known as diapauses.
- Killifish are divided into three general breeding groups of annuals, semi annuals, and non-annuals (plant spawners).
- Killifish species generally should not be mixed in the same aquarium. Not only because of the risk of territorial battles, but to keep genetic lines pure.
- Killies are peaceful, shy and brightly colored. This makes them ready targets for fin nipping species.
- If killifish are not comfortable, they will hide.
- Water chemistry problems are seldom encountered unless you get hooked on some of the real exotic killifish.
- Disease problems are also minimal. Bacterial problems seldom occur unless the fish are totally neglected, at which point they may exhibit signs of dropsy.
Aquarium Killifish Species: DO'S - Killifish Q/A
- Keep a good tight fitting lid, killifish are known to jump out of the aquarium. Even through the smallest of holes in an aquarium hood
Aquarium Killifish Species: DONT'S - Killifish Q/A
- Don't feed fry flake food. killifish fry are small and require live foods such as newly hatched brine shrimp nauplii and even smaller foods such as nematodes (microworms & vinegar eels).
Follow the above recommendations and you should have a joyful Aquarium Killiefish experience. Send any questions, comments or pictures to Ask An Expert If you are interested in helping out visit our contributions page.