Photo Courtesy of: ekkwill.com
Guppy Species > Quick Stats
Since they are omnivorous these fish will generally eat all kinds of live fresh and flake foods.
Ever hear the term "Just add water and voila!"? That's basically all you need to do to breed a livebearer! Very easy to spawn, not an aggressive fry eater
Guppies tend to prefer a temperature around 76°F.
This site was created to get straight to the point. Below are some tips on keeping Guppies. If you need more information navigate to the related web links section. Send any additional information or questions to Ask An Expert
Guppies are a good community fish meaning that they get along well with other fish such as tetras, mollies, platys, and bettas. They should not be with aggressive fish. Because of their beautiful tails, they are an easy target for picking on.
Guppy Species: Key Points, Tips & Tricks - Guppies Q/A
- Guppies are classic fish for beginning aquarists. Found in South and Central America, these livebearers have been bred for a variety of colors, patterns, and fin shapes. Guppies are generally named for the color of their tail, tail configuration, and body coloration.
- Generally peaceful schooling fish; happiest in groups of five or more of the same species; great in community aquariums
- Female Guppy abdomens have a dark spot, called the gravid spot, at the rear of the female's abdomen. The color is caused by the baby guppies (actually their eyes) showing through their mother's skin. The darker the spot the closer the babies are to birth.
- Breeding is more active in warmer water.
- Guppies live only about two years. There are many many different colour and fin combinations available.
- They are pretty small and usually get up to 1.5 inches in body length, but their tails can get quite long. Adding another inch or so to their length.
Guppy Species: DO'S - Guppies Q/A
- It is advised to keep two or three females to every one male to prevent the males fighting it out between each other.
Guppy Species: DONT'S - Guppies Q/A
- Put guppies in with aggressive fish, they will die.
- Also don't keep just one or two. They are a schooling fish. Minimum of 6-8.
Guppy Species Care Sheet - (PETCO.com)
Follow the above recommendations and you should have a joyful betta experience. Send any questions, comments or pictures to Ask An Expert If you are interested in helping out visit our contributions page.