Goldfish Species > Quick Stats
You must feed a designated Goldfish Food for best results.
Near Breeding time males develop small white bumps on his gill covers and pectoral fin rays right behind his gill. These are called tubercles and are used for stimulating the female to release her eggs.
All goldfish are 'coldwater fish' and do best in temperatures of 68-75.
This site was created to get straight to the point. Below are some tips on keeping Goldfish. Send any additional information or questions to Ask An Expert
Most goldfish are peaceful and schooling fish that mixes well with other goldfish. Ideal for a garden ponds. Goldfish are not tropical fish; therefore, they do not require tropical temperatures. Because of this it is not recommended to keep goldfish with other tropical fish. They do best with their own species.
Goldfish Species: Key Points, Tips & Tricks - Goldfish Q/A
- Some goldfish can be threatened by tropical fish, they have different required conditions.
- The greatest cause of death in goldfish is overfeeding.
- Live plants aren't usually kept with goldfish because they love to eat on them.
- The colour of goldfish is environmentally influenced, light being the most important factor: fish raised in a dim environment (such as deeper ponds, rivers, etc) develop (and retain) pale coloration, whereas fish raised in a bright environment develop brighter, saturated colours.
- Goldfish are VERY messy fish they produce a lot of waste and as a general rule undergravel filtration cannot handle it effectively, get a biowheel.
- The long flowing fins and slow motion of the goldfish make them irresistible targets to many fast fin nipping tropical fish.
- It is very important to understand that goldfish do not tolerate tropical fish food well. Goldfish do not have a stomach. Food is absorbed as it travels through their intestines so it must have a high alkaline content.
- Water must be conditioned to remove chlorine and chloramine.
- Water should be at room temperature or cooler, in the low 60's.
- Aeration is a very good idea since goldfish have very high oxygen requirements.
Goldfish Species: DO'S - Goldfish Q/A
- Must have a biowheel filter.
- Fish Goldfish food not tropical fish flakes.
Goldfish Species: DONT'S - Goldfish Q/A
- Do not use a heater.
- Do not overfeed.
- What out live plants will often get devoured.
Goldfish Common Species Care Sheet - (PETCO.com)
Follow the above recommendations and you should have a joyful Goldfish experience. Send any questions, comments or pictures to Ask An Expert If you are interested in helping out visit our contributions page.